Independence Community School District
Master Facility Plan
The Independence Community School District is committed to provide safe, secure, and comfortable school buildings that provide an engaging learning environment for students. To ensure this commitment, the School District realizes that school facilities need to be maintained and reflect environments conducive for learning and teaching.
The purpose of creating this long-range facility plan is to provide the community, staff, and students an understanding of the state of our existing facilities in relationship to our educational program standards and curriculum visions, enrollment trends and forecast, maintenance and improvement needs and projected facility demands for the next 10 years. A well-considered long-range plan for our 128-acre campus will also ensure that facilities and grounds are maintained and developed in a fiscally responsible manner that contributes to the success of our students and our district while taking into account the changing needs of our students, staff, and community.
New Jr/Sr High School
In September 2011, the residents of Brandon, Rowley and Independence passed a bond vote with nearly 70% approval to construct a new $27.5 M Jr./Sr. High School Facility. Features of this new facility include:
- 170,000 sq. ft. facility located right off 20th Ave.
- Individual classrooms for all full-time instructors
- Specially designed Junior High and Senior High wings with a Central Tech / Shared wing
- Whiteboards, projectors, mimeo devices and other technology features to maximize teaching tools
- 2,500 sq. ft. library / media center
- 700 seat auditorium with a magnificent stage and acoustics / sound system
- 17,500 sq. ft. gymnasium with a press box / suites
- Gymnasium will hold a capacity of 2000 attendees with seating on all four sides
- 3600 sq. ft. weight room facility with high-end weight training equipment
- 5500 sq. ft. wresting room
- 4 Locker Rooms which also serve as FEMA Safe Room (Severe Weather Storm Shelter)
- One main entrance with lock-down capabilities and secure emergency exits
- Efficient “hybrid HVAC system” with air conditioning
- Skylight system spanning entire “main street” area of school for natural daylight
- Large parking lot in front of building with over 400 parking stalls